This Content Marketing Strategy Starter guide covers some six topics that success-seeking solopreneurs need to first broadly understand. Subsequent guides will take you into the depths and details of each of these broad topics. It always helps to first get a broad overview when you have to plan strategy for content marketing, because many of the concepts are inter-related – and you would do well to understand first how they have a bearing on one another. This guide covers six topics that form the basis of all content marketing strategy – your niche, your content tilt, your target audiences, your competitive analysis, your broader influencer network and your brand strategy.
According to the Content Marketing Institute, “… your content marketing strategy is your “why.” Why you are creating content, who you are helping, and how you will help them in a way no one else can. Organizations typically use content marketing to build an audience and to achieve at least one of these profitable results: increased revenue, lower costs, or better customers.”
Finding your niche can flummox you, if you’re a typical solopreneur. After all, your entire business depends on which niche you choose, so a lot of solopreneurs seem to get into a flap about finding their niches correctly. But the fact that a lot of wantrepreneurs are found to be Googling the keywords “business ideas” suggests that they are looking at Google for a way to know what business to do, when they have to begin by asking themselves first!
Challenging as it seems to find your successful business niche, it is uber-easy if you follow some simple steps. So get a pencil and paper – and get down to some self-and-world-exploration. It shouldn’t take you more than 5-10 minutes at your desk, and about 20-30 minutes on your feet in the nearest market.
- What is a market niche, and why do you need to find one for your solopreneur business?
- What are the steps to finding your niche? And how do you know you’ve got a profitable one?
- An example of how a solopreneur found his business niche in the most unlikely of places!
- The awesome four-layer question method of finding your niche – from Kavyon K
Content tilt is all about the angle from which you pitch your solopreneur content marketing story at your target audiences. There are millions of blogs on billions of topics, so what are your chances of standing out from the crowds unless you either have something different to say – or you find a different way to say something that’s already said?
After you’ve decided on your niche for your content marketing, you have to further refine the offering you want to make to your target audiences, by articulating how you will be differentiated – and therefore of greater value to readers. Ultimately, you have to be different not merely for the sake of being different, but because that difference can add extraordinary value to a reader.
- What is exactly is “content tilt” and why is it important to your solopreneur business?
- We’re in an age of content fatigue, and sameness is a curse you can’t heap on your audiences!
- 4 types of research that can help you pinpoint a good content tilt for your marketing …
- What are some of the best examples of content tilt? Nobody gives it to you like Joe Pulizzi …
Your target audiences are the specific segment or group of people you want to aim your solopreneur content marketing at, so that you can turn them into engaged readers, loyal subscribers and eventually regular buyers of your products and services. Wikipedia describes target audiences as: “… a particular group of consumers within the predetermined target market, identified as the targets or recipients for a particular advertisement or message.”
Philip Kotler, the Father of Marketing, once wrote: “There is only one winning strategy. It is to carefully define the target market and direct a superior offering to that target market.” Because it doesn’t make sense to try to please everyone, your time, energy and money are better invested in as specific a target audience as possible.
- 3 questions solopreneurs need to ask before determining their target audiences
- Looking for target audiences with the objective of building long term relationships
- Your primary target audiences are those who have the capacity and potential to pay you
- Your secondary target audiences are those who can influence those who can pay you
Do competitive analysis not just at start, but regularly. It is a crucial business activity for any solopreneur who wants the shortest route to success. Why reinvent the wheel, when your competitors may already have done a lot of legwork on the market and target audiences? You can take a shortcut in your own strategy by looking at the traces that competitor activity leaves behind.
Competitive research doesn’t always have to be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. By investing even a small amount of time, businesses of any size can develop a systematic framework for making competitive assessments, gathering intelligence on rivals, and understanding the position of their own brands and products. Not only can you learn the best from competitors, you can also learn to avoid their mistakes.
- Do you know who your top 5 competitors are? Most businesses don’t!
- What kind of taking stock of competitors will help you with your own content marketing?
- Taking stock of competitors social media activity, to get a sense of their audience engagement
- 7 big advantages to your content marketing by performing competitive analysis
Co-opting influencers to champion your solopreneur business or brand is the new type of word-of-mouth marketing … it focuses on using key online and social leaders to drive your brand’s message to target audiences. According to Nielsen research, 84% of consumers say they either completely or somewhat trust recommendations from “those who know about these things” – putting influencer recommendations amongst the highest ranked sources for trustworthiness.
For example, a testimonial from an individual influencer who has been your buyer, and can talk or write at length about the product’s features and benefits can be of immense value to you. Influencer marketing is really growing in popularity and there’s one big reason for this: if done well, it really works!
- A true influencer for your business must drive action and not just awareness!
- 3 key factors that affect influencers’ ability to work wonders for your brand
- Some best practices to adopt when working with influencers for your solopreneur business
- How to protect your brand against potential risks from influencer campaigns
If you can execute a well-articulated brand strategy your solopreneur business can gain almost immediate competitive advantages. Effective brand strategy can create a clear and consistent identity for your business and products, and reinforce the unique qualities that are important to your target audiences. Your brand strategy can position your solopreneur business clearly in the minds of customers and prospects. It can also help differentiate your products from competitive offerings.
The early days of brand strategy development will not give you a hint of the huge value that can be acquired by your brand in the years to come. Many a balance-sheet of a business, that has grown to big success, usually reflects the equity of its brand as one its most valuable and coveted assets.
- What is brand strategy and why is it important to your solopreneur business?
- What is emotional branding and how does that play into your business strategy?
- The 4 key elements of brand strategy that you need to focus attention on
- The big benefits of a great brand strategy to your solopreneur business
So what are your thoughts on this topic? Do share!
This post is incomplete without your input. The community of aspiring digital solopreneurs would feel galvanized to hear from you … so do share your thoughts on this topic with us in the comments field below this post.
In our series of Guides:
- Contented Solopreneur Guide 1: Are you ready to be a solopreneur?
- Contented Solopreneur Guide 2: Is a solopreneur business right for you?
- Contented Solopreneur Guide 3: Looking for solopreneur inspirations?
- Contented Solopreneur Guide 4: Content Marketing Basics Examined!
- Contented Solopreneur Guide 5: Content Marketing Strategy Starter!
- Contented Solopreneur Guide 6: Deep Dive Into Target Audiences!
- Contented Solopreneur Guide 7: Deep Dive Into Brand Strategy!
- Contented Solopreneur Guide 8: Starting Your Content Marketing!
- Contented Solopreneur Guide 9: Growing Traffic And Conversions!
- Contented Solopreneur Guide 10: Top Avenues For Strong Earnings!
- Contented Solopreneur Guide 11: Building Your Success Attitude!
- Contented Solopreneur Guide 12: Tracking Technology And Trends!